School District considers teaching creationism and other conspiracies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School District considers teaching creationism and other conspiracies
Ohio school district considers teaching creationism and ‘Agenda 21′ conspiracies

Quote:The American Civil Liberties Union this week warned school officials in Ohio not to adopt policies that advanced creationism in the classroom.

“It’s the job of families, not public schools to educate children on spiritual values,” said ACLU of Ohio staff attorney Drew Dennis. “It is irresponsible for schools to repeatedly waste resources designing these types of unconstitutional policies.”

The Springboro Community City School District officials is considering a policy (PDF) that would encourage students to “think critically” about “controversial” issues like evolution, abortion, climate change, UN Agenda 21 and sustainable development. The policy directs teachers to fully explore “all sides” of these issues.

I can see offering alternatives POV on some topics but this reads like a conservative school district trying to indoctrinate a new generation of right wing conspiracy nuts.
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.
Are these the same conservatives who love to run around screaming about how liberals are always trying to indoctrinate kids?
I aim to misbehave.
No wonder are kids just get dumber and dumber.Yoda-facepalm

Intelligent Design has no place in a science class because its premise cannot be subjected to the scientific method (i.e. critical thinking). It's the same reason schools don't teach astrology alongside astronomy, "faith-healing" next to medicine, or "speaking in tongues" next to foreign language. In each case, the first subject has no underlying evidence and the second is a result of the best model we can construct based on all the available evidence.

I seriously hope none of this gets approved.
If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes. ~ St. Clement of Alexandra
Notice how Christians conservatives don't want ALL alternatives to evolution taught... just the Christians Creationism myth. Yeah, you're really teaching the controversy there, guys! Given all the different creation myths out there amongst different societies and cultures and religions, why do they only want to teach one and ONLY one.

Why not teach the Scientology creation story too? Kids should hear about Xenu and Thetans and nuclear weapons dropped into volcanoes. Isn't that part of the "controversy" and thus should be taught in a science class as if it were actual science? Why not teach Native American creation stories, or Hindu stories? Or maybe the Islamic one? Why is it that the alternative to evolution is solely limited to the Judeo-Christian Creation myth?

They should just stop lying and admit you want to turn American into a theocracy. It's Christian domination and nothing more. Thankfully people with functioning brains won't let this country turn into the Christian version of Iran.
[Image: wenty321_1.jpg]
Since we're "teaching the controversy" and everything, why not teach kids other "controversies"? We should present both sides of the debate and let kids come to their own conclusions.

Stuff like this:
  • Was 9/11 an inside job?
  • Moon landing might have been a fake.
  • Kennedy may have been assassinated by the CIA.
  • Did Jesus Christ even exist? We don't know... let's teach the controversy.
  • Aliens built the pyramids? It's possible.
  • Is the Earth really orbiting the Sun and is it really round?
I am dead but I must still go to work. -The Sixth Sense
Republicans are losing the demographics game. The only way they can possibly stay relevant 20-30 years down the road is to brainwash and indoctrinate kids.

As their power declines, we're really starting to see to what evil lengths they will go to maintain it. Threats of armed insurrection, laws making it harder for people to vote, brainwashing children, Alex Jones conspiracy theories, etc.
Agenda 21? Really? I know plenty of Republicans and even they don't believe that crap.Thumbdown
Insert colorful quote here
*Reads up on Agenda 21, having no idea what it is*

Seriously? They freaked out over a non-binding resolution?BlinkSick One that was issued 20 years ago!Rolleyes
Ich tue, was ich tun will
I do what I want to do
Conservatives always try to frame their arguments as exploring "all sides" of these issues. They're trying to make it sound reasonable: why not explore all sides? Who wouldn't want a serious exploration of important issues?

Except there are no "sides" in any serious academic or scientific circles when it comes to evolution. We can show the evolution of species over time through the fossil record. We can show micro-evolution in HIV and resistant staph. What is the "other side" going to show? "Look how this banana fits perfectly in a human hand!"Rolleyes

Exploring "all sides" of the evolution/creationism issue is like exploring all sides of the "round vs. flat Earth" issue.
T'Pol: I am not old, I will only be 66 years old on my next birthday.
Trip: I can't believe you told me that.
T'Pol: You accused me of being old.
-Star Trek: Enterprise 3-24, "Zero Hour"
Just thinking, I wonder if they realize that means they would have to accept the other side of gay marriage argument...
(06-14-2013, 02:49 PM)Forbidden044602 Wrote: Just thinking, I wonder if they realize that means they would have to accept the other side of gay marriage argument...

No, this has nothing to do with seeing "all" sides of an argument, this has more to do with seeing the side that they want you to see. They know this, we know this, but they insist on using this as a smokescreen. Some have probably convinced themselves it's a legitimate reason to introduce Creationism into the science class.
If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes. ~ St. Clement of Alexandra
I wonder if they're going to teach about the controversy surrounding the Second Amendment and how it was never meant to give individuals the right to posses weapons of war.

It's a controversial topic after all...
While we're at it, should we explore all sides and teach kids Star Trek as an alternative fate of the Universe? After all, it's only a theory.
T'Pol: I am not old, I will only be 66 years old on my next birthday.
Trip: I can't believe you told me that.
T'Pol: You accused me of being old.
-Star Trek: Enterprise 3-24, "Zero Hour"
I think I can sum this entire issue up to this: It's the job of the education system to teach what is correct, not what is popular.
(06-17-2013, 01:59 PM)Qui-Gon Jinn Wrote: I think I can sum this entire issue up to this: It's the job of the education system to teach what is correct, not what is popular.

I agree, this is why I believe in federalizing the schools, disbanding local school boards, and mandate a national standard curriculum.
I aim to misbehave.