Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed
... according to the Pope
Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics

Quote:Pope Francis rocked some religious and atheist minds today when he declared that everyone was redeemed through Jesus, including atheists.

During his homily at Wednesday Mass in Rome, Francis emphasized the importance of "doing good" as a principle that unites all humanity, and a "culture of encounter" to support peace.

Using scripture from the Gospel of Mark, Pope Francis explained how upset Jesus' disciples were that someone outside their group was doing good, according to a report from Vatican Radio.

I'm liking this new guy.Yoda-smokin
But I don't wanna be saved!Yoda-cryYoda-winkYoda-silly

On a serious note, he's certainly better at PR than Pope Palpatine... I mean Benedict was.
T'Pol: I am not old, I will only be 66 years old on my next birthday.
Trip: I can't believe you told me that.
T'Pol: You accused me of being old.
-Star Trek: Enterprise 3-24, "Zero Hour"
I like this guy more and more; he speaks incredibly candidly and is breaking down conventions. It is a welcome breath of fresh air and the church can certainly use whatever of that it can get.
Ich tue, was ich tun will
I do what I want to do
I like this pope's focus on humility, simplicity, and helping the poor. He's emphasized social justice more than social conservatism.
I aim to misbehave.
The Vatican had to go out and ruin all the good fun:

Quote:After Pope Francis told the world even atheists can go to heaven, the Vatican issued a correction: Atheists are still going to hell.

The Vatican issued an “explanatory note on the meaning of “salvation,” on Thursday, May 23, after media reports circulated indicating that Pope Francis” promised heaven for everyone engaged in good works, including atheists.

In response to the media attention, the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said that people who know about the Catholic church “cannot be saved” if they “refuse to enter her or remain in her.”

(Translation: Atheists are going to Hell if they don’t accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.)

Oh well, no salvation for me then.
Fry: "What was the purpose of life, anyway?"
Farnsworth: "Who knows? Probably some hogwash about the human spirit."