Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thunderstorms create antimatter
No joke: Thunderstorms on Earth Hurl Antimatter Into Space

Quote:Powerful thunderstorms on Earth can fling beams of antimatter into space, a new study finds.

Scientists picked up on the never-before-seen phenomenon by peering at thunderstorms with NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope. The antimatter particles were likely created by what scientists call a terrestrial gamma-ray flash (TGF), a brief burst of gamma rays produced inside thunderstorms and known to be associated with lightning, researchers said.

"These signals are the first direct evidence that thunderstorms make antimatter particle beams," study lead author Michael Briggs, of the University of Alabama in Huntsville, said in a statement. Briggs presented his team's results here today (Jan. 10) at the 217th meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Seattle.

Now if we could only just collect it...
T'Pol: I am not old, I will only be 66 years old on my next birthday.
Trip: I can't believe you told me that.
T'Pol: You accused me of being old.
-Star Trek: Enterprise 3-24, "Zero Hour"
Very interesting. Once this phenomenon has been studied and is understood, maybe it'll be a far cheaper and more effective method of producing antimatter.
Insert colorful quote here
Are these antimatter streams located in the same place as observed sprites (e.g., are they the same thing)?
I'm wondering about the possibility of duplicating this phenomenon thru a Tesla coil... even a few milligrams of antimatter is enough to power a pretty decent sublight drive.
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.
This is cool, and just goes to show that even on Earth in 2011 when still can find stuff that surprises us.

(01-14-2011, 02:18 PM)binarysunset8 Wrote: Are these antimatter streams located in the same place as observed sprites (e.g., are they the same thing)?

I don't think so, at least not from what I've read...