NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery
NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery; Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EST On Dec. 2

Quote:WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

The news conference will be held at the NASA Headquarters auditorium at 300 E St. SW, in Washington. It will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency's website at http://www.nasa.gov.

Better start preparing for the invasion fleet. Wink
It'll probably be a let down, something like: "The color of the ice on Mars indicates it could potentially contain amino acids which could one day lead to life."
NASA never gives us the really cool stuff. Sad
Ich tue, was ich tun will
I do what I want to do
Maybe the Mars rovers dug up a sample that contained signs of ancient microbial life, or found liquid water not too far beneath the surface in the crater it's exploring.
T'Pol: I am not old, I will only be 66 years old on my next birthday.
Trip: I can't believe you told me that.
T'Pol: You accused me of being old.
-Star Trek: Enterprise 3-24, "Zero Hour"
I heard a rumour that a species of bacteria that is based on something else and is completely unrelated genetically to any other form of life on Earth was found... that could be cool if true.
"We all change when you think about it, we're all different people, all through our lives, and that's okay, that’s good you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -Eleventh Doctor
(12-02-2010, 12:13 PM)Atlas32 Wrote: I heard a rumour that a species of bacteria that is based on something else and is completely unrelated genetically to any other form of life on Earth was found... that could be cool if true.

Looks like you were right: Arsenic-Eating Bacteria Opens New Possibilities for Alien Life

Quote:One of the basic assumptions about life on Earth may be due for a revision. Scientists have discovered a type of bacteria that thrives on poisonous arsenic, potentially opening up a new pathway for life on Earth and other planets.

If you thumb through an introductory biology textbook, you'll notice that six elements dominate the chemistry of life. Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen are the most common. After that comes phosphorus, then sulfur. Most biologists will tell you that these six elements are essential; life as we know it cannot exist without them.

The recent discovery by Felisa Wolfe-Simon of an organism that can utilize arsenic in place of phosphorus, however, has demonstrated that life is still capable of surprising us in fundamental ways. The results of her research will appear in Dec. 2 issue of the journal Science.

Exciting news, if a little anti-climatic.
Here is where my signature begins...

And here is where my signature ends. What, were you expecting more?
They found life on Earth? Whoopee!

Now, if it was "Intelligent Life"... Wink
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.
Cool discovery, if slightly underwhelming.
Obi-Wan: "I felt a great disturbance in The Force. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."
Me: "Let me guess, they saw Jar Jar Binks for the first time?" Wink