Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galileo Was Wrong
No, I haven't gone mad or anything. But it turns out that some people are, at least if this whole thing isn't a joke.

Galileo Was Wrong looks like the first conference on Geocentrism where some people are apparently desperate to overturn several hundred years of science.

Some people just won't face basic facts...
Insert colorful quote here
It's one thing to not believe in scientific theories that are kinda complicated to conclusively prove (like evolution or the Big Bang) but it's just stupid to not believe in scientific findings you can actually verify yourself with high-school math and a cheap telescope.

How do you explain the moon phases in a geocentric model?
That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read. Considering most Creationists seem to accept that the Earth goes around the Sun nowadays...

(09-13-2010, 10:38 AM)hasman Wrote: How do you explain the moon phases in a geocentric model?

Obviously God has allowed the Devil to create this illusion to test our faith.
If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes. ~ St. Clement of Alexandra
What exactly are those peoples' PhDs in? Stupidity?

Edit: Oh, Theology and/or Religious Studies. Thought so.
Obi-Wan: "I felt a great disturbance in The Force. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."
Me: "Let me guess, they saw Jar Jar Binks for the first time?" Wink
(09-13-2010, 03:18 PM)jedi123 Wrote: What exactly are those peoples' PhDs in? Stupidity?

LOL, I can make a a Ph.D in Theology in photoshop and It'd be just as valid as any televangelist's Ph.D. I would just need to repeat everything they believe, no matter how wrong it is. It's not like they'd ever question it. Wink
(09-13-2010, 03:18 PM)jedi123 Wrote: What exactly are those peoples' PhDs in? Stupidity?

At least one of them calls himself an astronomer.

My favorite part of that is how this educated scientist apparently "accepts the King James Bible as the inspired word of God for the English-speaking people." Now whatever you choose to believe about Jesus, God or Earth's history, I cannot understand the devotion to that translation. Even the most basic examination shows it to be riddled with errors. Were the translators magically gifted by God to produce it or something? Divine abilities of mistranslation which trump modern scholarly effort?
[Image: wenty321_1.jpg]
(09-13-2010, 06:32 PM)Wenty321 Wrote:

My favorite part of that is how this educated scientist apparently "accepts the King James Bible as the inspired word of God for the English-speaking people." Now whatever you choose to believe about Jesus, God or Earth's history, I cannot understand the devotion to that translation. Even the most basic examination shows it to be riddled with errors. Were the translators magically gifted by God to produce it or something? Divine abilities of mistranslation which trump modern scholarly effort?

If you listen to any fundie preacher, the answer is yes. Believe me, I have heard it hundreds of times on as many occasions.

Perhaps God needs to put out a revised edition of the Bible, just to correct mistakes. Or get with the times and get a Twitter page. Wink
T'Pol: I am not old, I will only be 66 years old on my next birthday.
Trip: I can't believe you told me that.
T'Pol: You accused me of being old.
-Star Trek: Enterprise 3-24, "Zero Hour"
Oh god, I can think of some crazy family members who if they see this is going to call up and launch into a "See I told you so!" speech about how they were right and I was wrong (yes, I'm related some Flat-Earther).

(09-14-2010, 01:25 PM)VulcanStevens Wrote:
(09-13-2010, 06:32 PM)Wenty321 Wrote:

If you listen to any fundie preacher, the answer is yes. Believe me, I have heard it hundreds of times on as many occasions.

Very true, and this line of thinking is used by many preachers on any of their favorite translations. It's not limited to the King James Version... which is (to be honest) horrid.
Flat Earth? Creationism? Galileo was wrong? Wacko

Hasn't the Catholic Church itself admitted it was wrong on the whole "center of the universe" thing and apologized for the whole "demonetization of Gaileio, trial, and imprisonment of him" thing?

Quote:If you listen to any fundie preacher, the answer is yes. Believe me, I have heard it hundreds of times on as many occasions.

So what would they say to being shown definitively that their translation is wrong? The old Sent-by-the-devil-to-test-our-faith excuse?
(09-14-2010, 07:20 PM)master_of_the_force Wrote:
Quote:If you listen to any fundie preacher, the answer is yes. Believe me, I have heard it hundreds of times on as many occasions.

So what would they say to being shown definitively that their translation is wrong? The old Sent-by-the-devil-to-test-our-faith excuse?

From personal experience, every time I raise the question, the answer has generally been that "people don't want to accept it's authority because it means they have to submit to God", so they make up falsehoods like demonic deception.
I am dead but I must still go to work. -The Sixth Sense
(09-14-2010, 01:25 PM)VulcanStevens Wrote: Perhaps God needs to put out a revised edition of the Bible, just to correct mistakes.

He did, it's called the Qur'an. Wink

(09-14-2010, 01:25 PM)VulcanStevens Wrote: Or get with the times and get a Twitter page. Wink

He has one too:
http://twitter.com/god
Obi-Wan: "I felt a great disturbance in The Force. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."
Me: "Let me guess, they saw Jar Jar Binks for the first time?" Wink
I went to the website and all I have to say is Was zur Hölle

I totally wished they offered some of their evidence that the Earth doesn't move. That would be interesting...
I was going to post a separate thread on this, but this seems to be a better place. The guy who runs the website above has a movie about this subject, and got Capt. Janeway (Kate Mulgrew) to narrate it.

Is this an elaborate joke or do some people actually think Geocentrism is a valid explanation of the universe?
For anyone interested, here is a good YouTube series covering the subject. It is highly entertaining.

Nowhere in ANY Bible (version) does it say Earth is at the center of the universe, OR our sun for that matter! That was just (wrong) doctrine of the Holy Roman (Catholic) Church atb\ the time BEFORE Gallileo!Thumbdown

And it was Capernicus that proved the SUN (our sun) was the center of our solar-system; Gallileo simply disagreed with the Vatican's viewpoint, due to certain "anomilies in their theory" that said otherwise.Thumbsup

The Bible even proves/agrees with the Big Bang theory; "In the beginning, ther was nothing, but darThumbsupkness. Space was an empty void accept for God, and The Word was with Him. Then God said 'Let there be light', and there was..." Big Bang!!!Angel

I believe in BOTH the Bible and science!!!Biggrin
When I was young, I did a lot of stupid things.Blushing
Now that I'm much older and wiser... I'm REALLY "paying" for those "youthful indiscretions" I did so long ago!Cry
If I had it all to do over again... I would, in a heartbeat - they were FUN!!!YesLaugh

Where ever you may be, that's where you are - you can never run away from yourself, so deal with it, and stop your whining!Dry