Can lightning go through glass?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can lightning go through glass?
I was having a talk with one of my friends and he says lightning can be stopped by glass but I like to think he's wrong. So does anyone know if lightning can go though glass or not?
Fry: "What was the purpose of life, anyway?"
Farnsworth: "Who knows? Probably some hogwash about the human spirit."
I think it can. My aunt told me when she was younger lightning came in though her kitchen window and struck her sink faucet. Of course I don't know if the window was open, or broken or if it actually went through the glass.
[Image: wenty321_1.jpg]
I would think the thunder would shatter the glass outright (just a few years ago I had a lightning bolt strike not 100 feet from me and let me tell you the thunder left my ears ringing).
T'Pol: I am not old, I will only be 66 years old on my next birthday.
Trip: I can't believe you told me that.
T'Pol: You accused me of being old.
-Star Trek: Enterprise 3-24, "Zero Hour"
(05-21-2010, 05:36 PM)Wenty321 Wrote: I think it can. My aunt told me when she was younger lightning came in though her kitchen window and struck her sink faucet. Of course I don't know if the window was open, or broken or if it actually went through the glass.

I had a classmate from high school who said something similar happened to his parents. I always thought he was making it up but the more I think about it it could happen (since a faucet is extremely well grounded).

As to lightning going though glass, I always thought glass was a good insulator. But then again lightning could melt though the glass or the glass would shatter from the accompanied thunder.
Here is where my signature begins...

And here is where my signature ends. What, were you expecting more?
A friend of mine claims that when he was a child he witnessed lightning coming through a windows and striking something in his bedroom (can't remember what exactly).