Trek Lit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trek Lit
I must take the time to pimp some awesome books!
Thumbs Up 
I just have to take a moment to talk about some awesome Trek Lit! Yes, there were days when the books were sometimes terrible and contradicted each other. But those days are gone gone gone! They don't contradict the series or each other any more as much as humanely possible. And most of them are awesome! Some are great even if you found their TV series iffy!

The DS9 post fiction has been fantastic, and the first 5 books was put out in a cheap omnibus called "Twist of Faith" not long ago.

Some other great books are "Unity" by S.D. Perry, and "Warpath" by David Mack.

There are also a great series of people/events that have been alluded to onscreen- the Lost Era.

And the SCE/CoE series is fantastic!

I'm loving it, worth every penny (and I'm really cheap!) so I thought I'd let you all in! Smile
Never have read any of the Trek books but I should check out of the books you mentioned, after all, DS9 is my favorite series. Smoke
If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes. ~ St. Clement of Alexandra
I tried to read a few Trek books but I couldn't stand them, but that was years ago.

(By the way, we have a Trek forum for Trek topics, so I'll move that to there)
I am dead but I must still go to work. -The Sixth Sense
Quote:Qui-Gon Jinn
Never have read any of the Trek books but I should check out of the books you mentioned, after all, DS9 is my favorite series.

You should- totally true to the characters and the series. And great adventures, no matter what you liked about DS9. Plus, nowadays, if you feel like skipping a book (say you don't like books about the Ferengi, Jake Sisko or whatever) you can do so and not be lost. I doubt you'll want to skip any tho.

Also I should mention, since 2000 or so, there's been about... maybe 20 books? Some of them are kindof DS9 Post Fiction- for instance, one about Dax's past hosts. Anyway, you can get the first 5 in an omnibus called "Twist of Faith" so for maybe 20 bucks, instead of 70$ or whatever, you get 1/4 of the series!

(05-15-2009, 05:07 PM)DarthTrip101 Wrote: I tried to read a few Trek books but I couldn't stand them, but that was years ago.

(By the way, we have a Trek forum for Trek topics, so I'll move that to there)

So as I post, is this moved? I just used the "search replies" to get here...

Trek book years ago had issues. There was a guy named Ordover or something in charge, who thought the books shouldn't have continuity- meaning they could contradict not only what we saw in the show, but also each other, creating this annoying and confusing environment. The last few years, someone else was in charge, who said the books shouldn't be like that. Also (in part due to budget etc., but with a good side effect) the amount of books put out each year was halved, so authours could make better and usually longer books. Overall, there's been a far better response to them, I think some of them have become best sellers if I'm not mistaken.
Cake 
Thanks again Marie1ThumbsupSmile

Other good Trek books, which I read years ago, are:

"Spock's World" & "Dark Mirror" - both by Diane Duane

"Federation" by the Reeves-Stephens

"The Return" & "Spectre" - both by William Shatner & the Reeves-Stevens