Good Anti-Virus Software?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Anti-Virus Software?
My desktop computer has been running incredibly slow. I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty much due to Norton Security anti-virus software. But since it's a anti-virus software, I don't want to get rid of it. The computer only has 512 MB of RAM, and I've heard Norton is a resource hog.

So what I want to do is get a different anti-virus/anti-spy/firewall software. I'm looking for something that's good (In terms of blocking and scanning), easy on system resources (especially RAM), and cheap.
Fry: "What was the purpose of life, anyway?"
Farnsworth: "Who knows? Probably some hogwash about the human spirit."
I use ZoneAlarm... it's kinda annoying when it blocks almost everything but otherwise it worked pretty nicely.
I use Avast! antivirus (http://www.avast.com).

It gives great protection and there's a free home edition as well as the pro edition. I just use the free one and I've never had a virus that I couldn't get rid of. You should also use the NoScript Firefox addon (http://noscript.net), it will allow you to block javascript from certain website.
I used McAffee for a while, it hasn't failed me yet. But then again I really don't do much that could attract viruses to me.

Also, you should use NoScript as jedimaster4334 recommended above. I installed it and I can't imagine browsing the Internet without it.
If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes. ~ St. Clement of Alexandra
As per my opinion you should have to use the Avira Anti-virus.Because it has following features to use.
1) Rootkit protection
2) Real-time monitoring of both viruses and malware
3) Archive detection with adjustable recursion
4) Light weight scanning and monitoring
5) Fast signature update
6) Email and Web protection
7) Multi-threading support