Nelson Mandela has died

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nelson Mandela has died
'He is now at peace': Nelson Mandela dead at 95

Quote:Nelson Mandela, the revered South African anti-apartheid icon who spent 27 years in prison, led his country to democracy and became its first black president, died Thursday at home. He was 95.

RIP Mr Mandela, one of the most remarkable people of our times.Yoda-cry
Insert colorful quote here
It's sad news but at least his compassion, wisdom, his desire for freedom to all people, and the end of all oppression, will live on. May he rest in peace.
I am dead but I must still go to work. -The Sixth Sense
Can't think of anyone who's changed the face of a country in the way Mandela did. A huge loss, a remarkable man. RIP.
"We all change when you think about it, we're all different people, all through our lives, and that's okay, that’s good you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -Eleventh Doctor
Really sad news. He was one of my heroes.

The astonishing thing about him, and I think the most important part of his legacy, is the lack of bitterness, the focus on reconciliation with enemies, forgiveness, overcoming the impulse for revenge in the cause of peace. That is a lesson most of us have yet to learn and why I see Mandela as such an inspiration.
Fry: "What was the purpose of life, anyway?"
Farnsworth: "Who knows? Probably some hogwash about the human spirit."
The world lost a great man, RIP.
Ich tue, was ich tun will
I do what I want to do
We've lost a great man. He was definitely someone who had an evolution of thought, but not in a way one would expect. He rose above tribe, class, and race to unite all of South Africa in a way that nobody could have imagined. South Africa and the world is much better for having him walk the Earth.

(12-08-2013, 03:15 PM)Gaven Scott Wrote: The astonishing thing about him, and I think the most important part of his legacy, is the lack of bitterness, the focus on reconciliation with enemies, forgiveness, overcoming the impulse for revenge in the cause of peace. That is a lesson most of us have yet to learn and why I see Mandela as such an inspiration.

Besides that, Mr. Mandela and George Washington are the only two revolutionary leaders I can think of who voluntarily walked away from power when they could have easily held it for life.
I aim to misbehave.
Mandela believed in multiparty, multiracial democracy and freedom in ways that many American and other international politicians don't or at the very best pay mere lip service to. He will be missed.Yoda-cry
Sorry about the mess
RIP Mr. Mandela.Yoda-cry

Mandela understood something that very few people ever do: that it would take a better man than he was to achieve his vision of a democratic, multiracial South Africa. Since he wasn't that man, he decided he would BECOME that man. He wasn't an angel or perfect by any means, but he knew himself and he knew that unless he could grow and set aside his flaws he would fail. He was like the Founding Fathers; imperfect but willing to compromise and set aside self-interest when they were convinced it was necessary (and willing to listen to suggestions about better ways to do things) but also with an inner core of beliefs that ultimately were not going to be shaken.
If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes. ~ St. Clement of Alexandra